After we visited the Sultan Ahmed Mosque or more known as the Blue Mosque, we walked to the Gülhane Park. Gülhane Park is the oldest and one of the most expansive public parks in Istanbul. It is located in the Eminönü district and adjacent to and on the grounds of the Topkapı Palace. The park is named after the rose house (Gülhane) located on the grounds of the park. It was the place where 1839 the Edict of Gülhane was proclaimed. He launched the Tanzimat reforms of the Ottoman Empire, which modernized the empire and included changes such as the equalization of all Ottoman citizens, no matter which religion, before the law. The proclamation was made by Grand Vizier Mustafa Reşid Pasha, who was a leading statesman, diplomat and reformer in the Empire.
It was once part of the outer garden of the Topkapı Palace, mainly consisting of a grove. The municipality planned a section of the outer garden as a park and it was opened to the public in 1912. Heinrich Krippel sculpted the a statue of Atatürk and it was erected as the first of its kind in Turkey in the park in 1926. The park underwent a major renovation in recent years, it had previously contained recreation areas, coffee houses, playgrounds and even a small zoo. However, it was removed to increase open space. Excursion routes were re-arranged and the big pool was renovated in a modern style. The Museum of The History of Science and Technology in Islam inside the former stables of the Topkapı Palace, on the western edge of the a park. The Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan opened the museum in May 2008 and it features 140 replicas of inventions of the 8th to 16th centuries, from astronomy, geography, chemistry, surveying, optics, medicine, architecture, physics and warfare.